'The New Southgate' later 'The Coronation Cinema'
Brian also found this extract on the "British History Online" web site: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=26938
Cinema shows were held in the Grove and at the central hall in Southgate in 1909, (fn. 52) and in King's hall, Lower Edmonton, in 1913 and 1916. (fn. 53) The Edmonton cinematograph theatre opened in Fore Street, Lower Edmonton, in 1911 and closed between 1926 and 1937. (fn. 54) The first large cinema built in Middlesex was the Alcazar, which opened in Fore Street in 1913; it was modernized in 1934, damaged in 1942, and pulled down by 1952. (fn. 55) Other permanent cinemas in existence by 1913 were Queen's hall in Green Lanes, Palmers Green, which closed in 1967 (fn. 56) and the New Southgate, later the Coronation, cinema in High Road, New Southgate, which had closed by 1958. (fn. 57) In addition to the two converted theatres, (fn. 58) there were the Palmadium in Green Lanes, Palmers Green, open by 1922 and demolished between 1948 and 1963, (fn. 59) the Capitol in Green Lanes, Winchmore Hill, in the 1930s, and the Odeon at the Bourne, Southgate, open by 1935 and closed by 1973. (fn. 60) The Regal in Silver Street (fn. 61) and the ABC, formerly the Ritz, in Bowes Road, (fn. 62) opened in 1934 and were still in existence in 1974.